Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Got this recipe from a friend at work. Loved it. Great when you want something a little different. Thumbs up.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 10 ounces uncooked couscous
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered saffron
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add onion and garlic, and saute until tender.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring often, 8 minutes or until done.
- Add zucchini, and saute 3 minutes or until tender; remove from heat.
- Prepare couscous according to package directions; stir in raisins.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in basil and saffron.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir couscous mixture into chicken mixture; cook over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve immediately.
Very easy and really tasty. I thought I had more couscous in the house than I did, so I ended up only using half as much. That seemed to be fine, though. Also, I used less raisins since I was using less couscous, but it would have been good with the full amount. I will definitely make this again!
I liked the dish, but unfortunately used the wrong type of saffron (spanish) so I didn't get the greenish look. If you like more savory to this dish, I would suggest browning the chicken with a bit of seasoning and paprika. Besides that, my husband and I liked it!
I goofed and sliced my zucchini and left my chicken cubes a bit to large. Definitely follow the directions here as it the dish will be more visually appealing. I'm the lucky recipient of some Morrocan saffron and black pepper and finally put it to good use in this dish. Though I scaled the recipe to two servings, I kept it to 2 cloves of garlic and I'm glad I did. Without that I think some of the garlic flavor have would have been lost against the saffron and pepper. The zucchini was great and next time I will add a bit extra. This came together in just 30 minutes perfect for mid-week. Thanks!