Sandi (From CA)'s Note:
It’s not often that you see women cooking on the street in North Africa unless they are making this bread. They stand behind large flat griddles on which they cook the bread, flattening it further with their fingers, not seeming to mind the heat. Some occasionally dip their fingers in a small bowl of oil to drizzle on the bread while it is cooking – this slightly greasier version is definitely better. Courtesy Anissa Helou.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the dough
- 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for the filling
For the filling
- 1Stir the yeast into a scant ½ cup tepid water and leave for about 5 minutes.
- 2Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and yeast water, gradually working it in, until the dough is slightly wetter than that for bread. Knead with your hands for 10 minutes, or until completely smooth and pliable.
- 3Put all the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl, add salt to taste and mix together well.
- 4Smear your work surface and hands with butter and divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Flatten one portion with your fingers into a very thin square, stretching it as you finish – be careful not to tear it. Spread a quarter of the filling over one half and fold the plain side over. Fold again to form a square. Flatten as thin as possible with your fingers.
- 5Grease a large nonstick frying pan with a little butter and place over medium-high heat. Place the folded dough in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until lightly golden all over. Remove and place on parchment paper. Repeat the procedure to make the rest of the breads, buttering your hands, work surface and pan before making each one. Serve hot or warm.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Flat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.9
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 296.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g