Recipe by Sharon123
Use a firm white fish such as halibut, bass, or mahimahi in this delicious Moroccan classic. Adapted from Cooking Light magazine. Great served with Basmati rice. The fish needs to marinate 30 minutes.
Top Review by CookGordon
This was a very good fish dish. I did not have the saffron or parsley, but doubled the cilantro and added 1/2 seeded jalepeno pepper (diced) to the marinade. I used Basa filets and it turned out very tasty -- not fishy. I would make this again using the Halibut or Orange Roughy. Thanks for posting Sharon.
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped whole lemons
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 4 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped (fresh)
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (fresh)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 pitted green olives, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs halibut (or other firm white fish)
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups tomatoes, coarsely seeded and chopped
- cilantro leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Take a small nonstick skillet heated to meddium high heat and coat with cooking spray. Add lemon, 1 tbls. water, 1/2 teaspoons oil, and sugar and cook 3 minutes or until water evaporates and mixture just begins to brown, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Put remaining 2 1/2 tsps. oil in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave at High for 10 seconds, just until oil is heated. Add saffron and let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine lemon mixture, saffron mixture, chopped parsley, cilantro, salt, paprika, cumin, black pepper, olives, and garlic cloves in a large zip lock plastic bag. Add fish to bag and seal. Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Saute the onions in the 1 tbls. olive oil for a few minutes to bring out the flavor.
- Layer 1 cup of the onion slices and 2 cups tomatoes on the bottom of a 13"x9" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Take the fish out of bag, reserving marinade. Top tomato with fish; pour remaining marinade from bag over fish. Cover with remaining 2 cups tomatoes and remaining 1 cup onion. Cover with foil. Bake at 400*F. for 40 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove from oven.
- Move fish and vegetables to a serving platter. Drizzle remaining liquid over fish.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Makes 4 servings.