Recipe by Ozzy
A friend saw this being created on a TV cookery show and decided to do it for me, it is just so tasty I had to post it, please please try this dish if you don't you'll never know how good this really is!
Top Review by berry271
Great recipe for those who want to work more fish into their diet. Loving Moroccan flavors right now. We served over rice and skipped the garnish. Just remember to pull out the cinnamon stick before serving.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 400 g chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 pinch salt
- 500 g cod or 500 g red snapper fillets
- 400 g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons honey
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- fresh coriander leaves
- sliced almonds, lightly toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon stick and cook for two minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the cayenne pepper, tomatoes, salt and 250ml/9oz of water and cook, stirring frequently, for ten minutes.
- Add the fish and simmer for five minutes, or until the fish is almost cooked and tender.
- Add the chickpeas and honey and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, then season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, spoon out the stew into bowls and garnish with fresh coriander leaves and flaked almonds.