Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This vegetarian dish is full of flavor, substantial, and makes a complete nutritious meal high in protein. The blended spices of garam masala make this dish rich tasting without being high in fat, and can be easily found in the spice section of your favorite market. From The World's Healthiest Foods website.
- 14.79 ml vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in 1-inch squares
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 0.25 ml red pepper flakes
- 9.85 ml turmeric
- 2.46 ml garam masala
- 425.24 g can garbanzo beans
- 425.24 g can lentils, drained
- 118.29 ml tomato sauce
- 295.73 ml vegetable broth
- 118.29 ml raisins
- salt and pepper
- 14.79 ml cilantro, chopped
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a 10-12 inch skillet. Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, red bell pepper, eggplant, garam masala, and turmeric.
- Stir to mix well for a minute, and add broth and tomato sauce.
- Stir again to mix.
- Cover, and cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until peppers and eggplant are tender.
- Add garbanzo beans, lentils, red chili flakes, and raisins.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped cilantro.
A wonderful vegetarian recipe! The flavour was great, just the right amount of garam masala, and the raisins add a bit of sweetness. I must admit I used chicken broth but this would be just as good with vegetable I'm sure. Thank you, wirkwoman, for an excellent recipe.
looks like a good recipe but maybe should be called Indian Eggplant.