Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 lb firm eggplant
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley, divided
- toasted pita bread
- Toast cumin in a dry 10-inch heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and dark brown (be careful not to burn). Cool, then grind to a powder in grinder.
- Pan-roast whole eggplant in skillet over medium heat, turning frequently with tongs, until blackened and tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut off and discard stem. Scrape flesh from skin and coarsely chop. Toss with onion, vinegar, sugar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1/2 teaspoon toasted cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Serve in a shallow bowl drizzled with remaining tablespoon oil and sprinkled with remaining tablespoon parsley and toasted cumin.