Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple basic eggplant appetizer. It's different from the others because of the toasted cumin seeds. Posted for safe keeping. Gourmet Magazine August 2008 issue.
- Toast cumin a a dry 10 inch heavy skillet over med heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and dark brown (careful not to burn).
- Cool, then grind to a powder in a spice grinder.
- Pan roast whole eggplant in skillet over med heat, turning frequently with tongs until blackened and tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut off and discard stem. Scrape flesh from skin and coarsely chop. Toss with onion, vinegar, sugar, 1 tbls oil, 1 tbls of parsley, 1/2 tsp toasted cumin and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Serve in a shallow bowl drizzled with remaining tbls oil and sprinkled with remaining tbls of parsley and toasted cumin.
- Serve with toasted pitas.
Delicious and easy. It would have been even better if I had the cummin seed, but it was quite good with ground cummin.