Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
You can make more out of eggplant than just lasagna! :) Here's an unusual and tasty salad for you to enjoy.
- 2 eggplants (2 lbs total)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced red sweet bell peppers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 dashes black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon dried currant
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- Peel the uncooked eggplants, then cut into 1x3-inch (approx) slices.
- Lay on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with the salt, and allow to"sweat" and drain for 30 minutes.
- Rinse well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet and fry the slices until both sides are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Set cooked slices on paper towels to drain of excess oil.
- Cut into 1/2-inch pieces and mix with the garlic, bell pepper, cayenne, and cumin.
- Return eggplant to the skillet, add 1 Tbsp sherry and sauté on low until liquids have evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the serving bowl, sprinkle with the dressing ingredients, and let cool.
- When ready to serve, toss the salad, garnish with black olives, golden raisins, currants, and parsley.
- Makes 6-8 servings.
- Adapted from a Gail's Recipe Swap post by Dawn/NYS.