1/2 Photos of Moroccan Eggplant (Aubergine) Salad
Sue Lau's Note:
This refreshing salad can be served warm or chilled in split halves of pita bread along with hummous or baba gannouj and a selection of brined olives.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives or 1/2 cup pitted green olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/8 cup toasted slivered almonds (may substitute pine nuts)
- 1 -2 lemon (juice of, no seeds, amount depending on size)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint (optional)
- 4 pita bread rounds (optional)
- 1Soak sun-dried tomatoes in boiling water 15-30 minutes until they soften, then drain and dice; set aside until needed.
- 2Heat oil in a large skillet; add eggplant, red pepper, and onion along with salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, and garlic.
- 3Cook mixture, stirring occasionally, over medium heat, for 8-9 minutes or until lightly tender, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 4In a large bowl, mix together chopped olives, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, chopped parsley, toasted almonds, lemon juice, and mint (if using).
- 5Mix in cooled eggplant mixture, tossing lightly (add extra-virgin olive oil, salt, or fresh lemon juice if desired to adjust consistency to your taste).
- 6Serve salad warm or chilled with fresh pita bread, or alone as a salad or first course.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Eggplant (Aubergine) Salad
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.4
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 800.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 3.7 g