Our guide made this salad for us several times, during a trek through Morocco's Sahara desert. It can be a main dish, served with lots of bread, or a starter. You can add other fried veggies such as potatoes (although they would have to be par-boiled first) and you can also vary the ingredients. In fact, I think it's best when you dress it up a bit, so consider this recipe like an empty artist's palette. Try making it with red onion, instead of white, a few olives, sliced boiled eggs or some tinned fish. Mackerel seemed quite popular in Morocco but chunks of tuna would also be nice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Salad
- 2 tomatoes, chopped small
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
For the fried vegetables
- 1Put all the salad ingredients in a bowl.
- 2Mix and leave to sit while you prepare the fried vegetables.
- 3Beat the eggs in a small bowl and season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- 4Heat the oil in a 9-10" frying pan.
- 5I prefer a non-stick pan.
- 6When the oil is very hot, but not quite smoking, start dipping the eggplant into the egg and then putting it directly into the frying pan.
- 7Work quickly until the pan is filled.
- 8By the time you've covered the surface of the pan, it will likely be time to start flipping the eggplant.
- 9Cook until they are golden on both sides, 1-2 minutes.
- 10Remove the eggplant to a sheet of paper towel.
- 11Cover and keep warm.
- 12Continue frying the eggplant in batches, then cook the zucchini using the same method.
- 13Heap the salad in the middle of a large bowl or plate and arrange the fried veggies around the salad.
- 14Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Desert Salad
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.2
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 105.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 11.4 g