Recipe by Sackville
Our guide made this salad for us several times, during a trek through Morocco's Sahara desert. It can be a main dish, served with lots of bread, or a starter. You can add other fried veggies such as potatoes (although they would have to be par-boiled first) and you can also vary the ingredients. In fact, I think it's best when you dress it up a bit, so consider this recipe like an empty artist's palette. Try making it with red onion, instead of white, a few olives, sliced boiled eggs or some tinned fish. Mackerel seemed quite popular in Morocco but chunks of tuna would also be nice.
Top Review by chef FIFI
Well, this is going to sound a little funny, but I made a dish based on your recipe. I fried the eggplant and squash and dipped it in egg and milk mixture and salted it before hand, then for the salad, I made a middle eastern salad called salat ma tahini. I make fried eggplant and squash on a regular basis for my husband, but never thought to dip it in egg before frying it. Anyways it all turned out well, the egg mixture did help it from absorbing some oil, and I thank you for sharing your recipe, for you gave me a new idea.
For the Salad
- 2 tomatoes, chopped small
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
For the fried vegetables
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium eggplant, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil (not olive oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all the salad ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix and leave to sit while you prepare the fried vegetables.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl and season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a 9-10" frying pan.
- I prefer a non-stick pan.
- When the oil is very hot, but not quite smoking, start dipping the eggplant into the egg and then putting it directly into the frying pan.
- Work quickly until the pan is filled.
- By the time you've covered the surface of the pan, it will likely be time to start flipping the eggplant.
- Cook until they are golden on both sides, 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant to a sheet of paper towel.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Continue frying the eggplant in batches, then cook the zucchini using the same method.
- Heap the salad in the middle of a large bowl or plate and arrange the fried veggies around the salad.
- Serve immediately.