Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Energy-boosting, cardamom-spiced date bites made with almonds, walnuts and pistachios. Eat two of these as a snack or with some juice for breakfast, and you're satisfied, says Elizabeth Falkner, who contributed this recipe to Food & Wine magazine.
- 2 1⁄2 ounces sliced almonds (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1⁄2 cup shelled pistachios (2 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (3 ounces)
- 1 lb moist pitted dates, chopped
- 4 pitted kalamata olives, chopped (or dry-cured Moroccan)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon orange flower water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Spread the sliced almonds on a baking sheet and toast for about 4 minutes, until golden. Let the almonds cool completely.
- In a food processor, grind the pistachios to a coarse powder. Transfer the pistachio powder to a plate. Add the toasted almonds to the processor and grind to a coarse powder. Add the walnuts, dates, olives, ginger, honey, orange zest, cinnamon, cardamom, orange flower water and salt and process to a paste.
- Scoop up scant tablespoons of the date mixture and roll into balls. Roll the balls in the pistachio powder to coat them completely and serve.
- Make Ahead:
- The bonbons can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
This recipe is colossal. It's vegan, it's raw, it's easy, and it is insanely delicious. Healthful flavor nuggets will assail your senses and wow your guests. I made these as part of a Moroccan feast I am preparing for my church tomorrow. A double batch allows me to pass out samples. Every single person who has tasted these pops them in and then eyes fly open wide. "O WOW!" immediately follows, every time. Junk food lovers, health food lovers, every one has raved. Don't skip the olives and double the salt. These are the Moroccan equivalent of chocolate covered pretzels. These would be perfect on a Christmas party tray.