1/2 Photos of Moroccan Crock Pot Tajine
5 hrs 25 mins
Baton Twirling's Note:
In Morocco, tajines or stews are made in a shallow earthenware cooking pots called tajines. In this version, use a crock pot to produce a mellow yet intensely flavoured meat and vegetable melange with a tender texture and enticing aroma. First published in Chatelaine's 10/2000 issue.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) package frozen stewing lamb or 1 (3 lb) package lamb shoulder or 1 (3 lb) package stew beef chunks or 8 skinless chicken thighs, bone-in
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red chili pepper flakes or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups small chunks carrots
- 3 cups large chunks of peeled squash or 3 cups potatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed chicken broth or 1 cup chicken bouillon
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives (optional)
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 1Thaw lamb.
- 2Trim excess fat from lamb or beef, then cut into large bite-size pieces.
- 3If using chicken thighs, leave whole.
- 4Mince garlic and thinly slice onions.
- 5In a crock pot or other slow cooker, stir garlic with onions, cumin, paprika, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt, chili flakes, carrots, squash, broth and olives, if using.
- 6Add meat.
- 7Cover and cook on high heat for 5 hours or on low for 9 to 10 hours.
- 8Stir in chickpeas, if using, during last 15 minutes of cooking.
- 9Serve over couscous or with crusty bread.
- 10Covered and refrigerated, tajine will keep for at least 2 days and can be frozen in an airtight container or resealable freezer bag.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Crock Pot Tajine
Serving Size: 1 (521 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 553.1
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 221.9 mg
- Sodium 1051.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 74.9 g