Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from a Saveur recipe. Lemony, colorful, cooling, and easy. I use whole wheat Israeli couscous (the large one) but I think the regular couscous (or Italian fregola) would work as well. Add some finely diced colored bell peppers, if you have some on hand. Other herbs like cilantro or mint would also work in this. I use my lemon confit recipe for the preserved lemon, Lemon Confit. Cooking time is marination time.
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced red onion
- zest of one lemon, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups israeli couscous, cooked and cooled
- 1⁄2 cup green olives, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup preserved lemon, minced
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Soak the onion in the lemon juice and zest for 5 to 10 minutes to denature some of the onion's harshness.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes prior to serving.