Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was the healthy recipe of the day on my "MyYahoo" page. Sounds tasty! ..."Hearty enough to serve as a main course or a substantial side dish."
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup couscous, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley
- Place squash in a vegetable steaming basket over boiling water.
- Cover and steam until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray and set the pan over medium heat.
- Add bell peppers and onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add all seasonings/spices and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add couscous and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add boiling water to the pan.
- Cover and set aside for 7 minutes to steam.
- Fluff gently with a fork and add steamed squash, chickpeas and parsley.
- Toss to mix, serve warm.
Quick and easy. Quantity would only serve 4 people if you were having it as the main dish. I prefer things a little more spicy and found this quite mild.