Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was the healthy recipe of the day on my "MyYahoo" page. Sounds tasty! ..."Hearty enough to serve as a main course or a substantial side dish."
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup couscous, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley
- Place squash in a vegetable steaming basket over boiling water.
- Cover and steam until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray and set the pan over medium heat.
- Add bell peppers and onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add all seasonings/spices and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add couscous and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add boiling water to the pan.
- Cover and set aside for 7 minutes to steam.
- Fluff gently with a fork and add steamed squash, chickpeas and parsley.
- Toss to mix, serve warm.
Quick and easy. Quantity would only serve 4 people if you were having it as the main dish. I prefer things a little more spicy and found this quite mild.