Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A healthy Moroccan dish. The array of vegetables mixed with seasonings on top of couscous provides ample nutrients and delicious flavour. I have successfully substituted rice for couscous. Recipe from "Power Eating".
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into bite sized pieces
- 19 ounces chickpeas, undrained
- 1 medium tomatoes, cut in large chunks
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup couscous or 1 cup brown rice
- Vegetable Mixture:.
- In stirfry pan, heat oil, add onion, garlic, and ginger; saute 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, squash, carrots, pepper, coriander and chili pepper; cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender crisp.
- Add zucchini and undrained chick peas; cook until zucchini is tender crisp, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and parsley.
- In separate bowl pour 1 cup boiling water over couscous.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.
- If you are having rice, cook according to directions.
- NOTE: This is best served in a bowl with a spoon. Put some couscous in your bowl and than put the vegetable mixture on top. The vegetables are very soupy/watery but the broth is soaked up by the couscous/rice.
We have 400g cans of chickpeas in Australia, so that's what i used. We didn't have any fresh tomatoes on hand, so used approx 200g of canned crushed toms. We liked it, but didn't love it. I think it could do with more spices/herbs.
Was a bit spicy and different for my taste that I had to mask it with another sauce. It's just ok for me hence the 2 stars.
Wow! This was the first dish we made on our new "two vegitarian dinners a week" plan. We doubled the pepper flakes (we are HUGE heat fans) and the dish ROCKED! Didn't even miss meat!