Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a meal in and of itself, made heartier by adding lean grilled chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces. This is the first time I used smokey sweet paprika and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a recipe adapted from a vegetarian friend of mine who knew I was looking for healthier fare to cook for my P90X diet.
- 1 lb carrot (cut on the diagonal in 1/2' pieces)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet smokey paprika
- 1 (4 ounce) package feta cheese (crumbled) or 1 (4 ounce) package goat cheese (crumbled)
- 8 -10 large medjool dates (seeds removed and quartered on the long axis)
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans (drained)
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lemon (reserved for juice)
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seed
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (chopped)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F Place the carrots, honey, cinnamon, sweet-smokey paprika and olive oil in a cake pan and mix well so all the carrots are coated with the spice/liquid mixture. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, stir in garbanzo beans and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- While the carrots are roasting, prepare the couscous by adding to the boiling hot vegetable stock. Stir well and fluff after about 15 minutes.
- Right before the carrots are done roast the sesame seeds quickly in a frying pan. Be careful they don't burn!
- Combine the carrots and couscous, lemon juice, date quarters, toasted sesame seeds and crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese and season with the sea salt and pepper to taste. After seasoned just right, add in the cilantro and serve in a bowl warm.