Recipe by mikey & ev
from Rachel Ray. The 10,000 grains of sand is COUSCOUS! A unique twist on chili. The flavors work very well together. This would go well on top of anything (baked potato, hotdog, etc.)
Top Review by Karabea
This was really tasty! I made after watching RR make it on 30 Minute Meals, but substituted ground chicken for the lamb. It was very good...the couscous is amazing! Also, I served with store-bought pita chips instead of making my own. Yummy!
- 8 pita breads, cut into wedges for scooping
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 907.18 g ground lamb
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 14.79 ml ground coriander
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 396.89 g can tomato sauce
- 29.58 ml butter
- 354.88 ml chicken stock
- 78.07 ml golden raisin (recipe says "handful")
- 4 dried apricots, chopped
- 354.88 ml couscous
- 44.37-59.16 ml toasted pine nuts
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley leaves, chopped (recipe says "handful")
- 59.14 ml fresh mint leaves, chopped (recipe says "handful")
- 44.37 ml chives, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (if serving with pita bread).
- Heat skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, add meat and brown.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper, to taste, chili powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and paprika. Add the bay leaf, onions, bell pepper and garlic to the pan.
- Cook until onions are soft, 8 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and zest, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce. Stir and reduce heat to simmer (for about 10 minutes while you make the couscous).
- To make couscous: Bring butter and stock to a boil in a separate pot with tight fitting lid. (This is a good time to put the pitas in the oven too).
- Add dried fruit and couscous, stir then turn off heat and set lid in place. Let stand 5 minutes. Add nuts and herbs and toss with fork.
- Pile chili in bowls, top with "sand" and serve with pita wedges for scooping.