1/3 Photos of Moroccan Chili W/ 10,000 Grains of Sand (Couscous)
mikey & ev's Note:
from Rachel Ray. The 10,000 grains of sand is COUSCOUS! A unique twist on chili. The flavors work very well together. This would go well on top of anything (baked potato, hotdog, etc.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 pita breads, cut into wedges for scooping
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup golden raisin (recipe says "handful")
- 4 dried apricots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 3 -4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped (recipe says "handful")
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped (recipe says "handful")
- 3 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (if serving with pita bread).
- 2Heat skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, add meat and brown.
- 3Season the meat with salt and pepper, to taste, chili powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and paprika. Add the bay leaf, onions, bell pepper and garlic to the pan.
- 4Cook until onions are soft, 8 minutes.
- 5Add lemon juice and zest, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce. Stir and reduce heat to simmer (for about 10 minutes while you make the couscous).
- 6To make couscous: Bring butter and stock to a boil in a separate pot with tight fitting lid. (This is a good time to put the pitas in the oven too).
- 7Add dried fruit and couscous, stir then turn off heat and set lid in place. Let stand 5 minutes. Add nuts and herbs and toss with fork.
- 8Pile chili in bowls, top with "sand" and serve with pita wedges for scooping.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Chili W/ 10,000 Grains of Sand (Couscous)
Serving Size: 1 (744 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1539.8
- Calories from Fat 669
- Total Fat 74.4 g
- Saturated Fat 28.8 g
- Cholesterol 183.5 mg
- Sodium 1607.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 154.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 63.7 g