1/1 Photo of Moroccan Chickpeas With Carrot and Dates
This is based on a chicken recipe from Australian Good Taste magazine but I made it veggo. I have successfully used Chinese red dates in this recipe. The ginger can make it a little spicy if it is very fresh, if required serve with a little good quality yoghurt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, cut into short sticks
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 (400 g) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (400 g) cans chickpeas
- 1/2 cup dried pitted dates
- 50 g baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon citric acid
- fresh coriander sprig, to serve
- ground cinnamon, to serve
- couscous, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Spread the almonds over a baking tray. Bake in oven for 4 minutes or until toasted. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. (You can also toast these in the microwave if preferred).
- 3Heat oil in a deep frypan or wok over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and carrot, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the cumin, ginger and turmeric, and stir to coat and toast the spices.
- 4Add the stock and tomatoes. Bring to the boil. Add the chickpeas and dates. Simmer until the sauce thickens to desired consistency and carrots are cooked, about 10-15 minutes.
- 5Roll up the spinach leaves and slice finely, and add to the tagine, allowing it to wilt. Stir in the honey and lemon juice/citric acid. Season with salt and pepper as required.
- 6Divide the tagine among the serving dishes (on cous cous if desired). Sprinkle with almonds and cinnamon. Top with coriander to serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Chickpeas With Carrot and Dates
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.2
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 926.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 25.2 g
- Protein 14.2 g