- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chop fine (1/2 c)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinse, drain
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin, Ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- toasted sesame seeds, minced scallions, finely chopped tomatoes (optional) or herbed garlic-flavored croutons (optional)
- In 4-5 quart saucepan, heat oil.
- Add carrots, garlic, and onion; cook until tender.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in food processor, puree chickpeas, 1 cup of vegetable stock, tahini, and lemon juice.
- Stir pureed mixture into saucepan.
- Add remaining ingredients including vegetable stock.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes to heat through.
- Top with garnish if desired.
- •VARIATIONS: Substitute olive oil for safflower oil.