Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
My housemate had left some of this in a pan and, having intended to just have a taste, I gobbled up the leftovers! Such a nice flavour! Very easy, low calorie, and ready in 20 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 600 ml vegetable stock, hot
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 400 g chickpeas (ready cooked)
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 bunch coriander
- Heat the oil.
- Fry the onion and celery for 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the cumin and fry for one minute.
- Increase the heat and add the stock, tomatoes and chickpeas, plus a decent sized helping of black pepper.
- Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the mix and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Chop the coriander and add.
- Serve with flatbread.
Great recipe and much easier than it tastes! Cumin goes great with chickpeas and the coriander and lemon juice add a wonderful fresh flavour. I used garlic powder rather than fresh garlic because I didn't realise that I used the last of the garlic for the other recipe I was making with it, though will try it will fresh garlic next time. Thanks to you and your housemate for sharing. :) Made for PAC Spring 2010.
I made it for dinner tonight, just winging it. Fantastic! The cumin, garlic, cilantro, and lemon combine wonderfully. I even had leftovers that I took for lunch the next day, and the extra time for the flavors to mingle made it even better!
Simple to prepare with lots of good fresh flavour. I also added the garlic with the lemon juice, and used fresh celery and coriander from the garden. This was a cinch for a quick healthy and delicious supper, using ingredients on hand, we enjoyed it low-GI health bread. Thanks Boo, very good! Made for PAC Fall 2009