Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This tastes wonderful with all sorts of meals - especially anything done on the bbq. The beans do need to be soaked overnight.
- 1 1⁄3 cups dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, peeled,seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro or 1⁄2 cup parsley, minced
- 8 kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- Put chickpeas in a large saucepan.
- Add water to cover and stir in 1 tsp of salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat to medium and simmer until tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain the chickpeas and discard any loose skins.
- In a serving bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients.
- Add the chickpeas and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate for atleast 4 hours before serving.
This makes a very good and easy salad. The cumin seemed a little stronger the day after, so next time I will use slightly less (actually, I used slightly more than the ingredient list's amount, so the recipe is fine.) Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.
Reviewed for ZWT9- Made as written, except that I soaked my chickpeas overnight and then cooked in the pressure cooker. A lovely salad that makes a great side
This is very clean and very nice