Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A very unusual chili, spicy and hearty, but no meat. Pretty much made as printed in the sept 2007 issue of Cooking Light. Delightful
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic to pan; cook stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, and next 7 ingredients (to ground red pepper); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add water tomato paste, chickpeas and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro and juice.
Absolutely wonderful! I reconstituted dry garbanzos to cut down on the sodium. I didn't have any cilantro...but I did have spinach. I put a couple of handfuls in the pot after it had finished cooking...just to let it wilt. There was enough leftover for tonights dinner...so I am adding the cilantro when I reheat. Thank you so much for this really yummy dinner.
Wow, what a super yummy, spicy chili!!!! It was soooo good! The different spices go really well together and make for a flavour experience, that is very special. I especially liked the cinnamon in this. As I dont like celery that much, I simply left it out and used a little more carrot to compensate for it. Your directions were spot on and everyone enjoyed this chili a lot. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing it here with us, Umberle. We will make it again. Made and reviewed for one of my babies in PAC March 2010.
Really unusual combination of spices but so tasty! I tried this with chicken but I'll make the vegetarian version too. Even better the second day!