Recipe by MamaJ
This is a flavorful chicken stew that is served over couscous. The original recipe comes from All Recipes and was said to be a chicken contest winner. I am posting for ZWT4.
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the couscous according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook onion until tender.
- Add bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric, and cayenne pepper to the onions.
- Add chicken to the pot and cook until well browned.
- Pour garbanzo beans, tomatoes, and broth into the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 25 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and zucchini.
- Season with salt.
- Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serve stew over cooked couscous.