Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is one of Claudia Roden's and it is very good. I like to serve it with rice.
- 1 large onion, grated
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large roasting chicken, in pieces
- 1 kg tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron or 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 -4 tablespoons clear honey
- 50 g almonds, coarsely chopped, blanched
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper (need to be lightly generous on the amount 1/4 - 1/2 t to complement the sweet flavours)
- Heat 2 T oil in a large pan or pot. Add the chicken, tomatoes, ginger, cinnamon and saffron or turmeric.
- Cover, and cook over low heat, stirring from time to time, for 1 hour.
- Set oven at 400 deg F/200 deg Celsius.
- Remove chicken from pot, and roast in oven to brown slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the sauce in the pot, uncovered, to thicken slightly. It should be like a sizzling cream. Stir all the time.
- Then add the honey and stir in well.
- Remove chicken from the oven, and return chicken to the pot. If the sauce is a nice consistency, turn heat very low so it does not reduce further.
- Heat the leftover 1 T oil in a separate pan and add the almonds. Cook for a few moments only (it burns easily, so stir it) Then add the sesame seeds, and cook briefly as well, until lightly toasted.
- Serve the chicken hot, covered with the sauce and sprinkled with the toasted nuts.