Recipe by Nasseh
This is a nice change to ordinary chicken & couscous. My very picky daughter said this was the best couscous dish I have made. To save time I used my pressure cooker to cook the chicken.
Top Review by wicked cook 46
Very nice subtle flavours. I was leary of sprinkling the icing sugar on top but did to keep with the recipe except used less. It melts into the couscous and gives just a bit of sweeteness. I had to add a cup of broth to make the two cups needed for the couscous. Made for Went to The Market Tag Jan 2009
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry instant couscous
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken leg quarters, cut in half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1⁄2 onion, grated
- 3 cinnamon sticks (about 2 inches long)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 2 -3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken into a pot along with the spices, onion, cinnamon sticks, & 2 tbsp of the butter.
- Pour in the chicken stock & bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer for 45-60 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
- Take the chicken out of the broth. Turn up the heat & boil until the sauce is reduce to 2 cups. Remove the chicken from the bones. Discard the cinnamon sticks & bones.
- Pour the 2 cups of sauce in with the dry couscous, stir. Cover & let sit for 8-10 minutes. Uncover & add the rest of the butter, stir until melted.
- Dump half the couscous onto a serving platter. Flatten into a large circle then arrange the chicken in a single layer over the couscous. Spread the rest of the couscous over the chicken to form another flat circle.
- Dust a fine layer of confectioners sugar over the couscous & decorate with thin lines of cinnamon. Serve with a small bowl of confectioners sugar & cinnamon on the side.