1/5 Photos of Moroccan Chicken With Preserved Lemons and Couscous
bluemoon downunder's Note:
One glance at the ingredients for this recipe and I knew it was, for me, a must-try recipe. I also loved the inclusion of time for marinating the chicken. Marinating always makes SUCH a difference to the end result. I'll be making this without the red chilli, but I'm well aware that many others will probably want to increase the heat. C'est la vie! I'd also prefer to serve it with a rice dish rather than couscous. I found this recipe in the latest edition - May 2005 - of the 'Australian Good Taste' magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 large skinless chicken breasts
- 8 wedges preserved lemons
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, halved, finely chopped
- 1 small red chile, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves, firmly packed
- 1Combine the lemon juice, honey, garlic. turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in a large glass or ceramic dish. Add the chicken and turn over so that it is thoroughly coated with the marinade. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least three hours, preferably overnight, to develop the flavours.
- 2Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- 3Remove the chicken from the marinade and reserve the marinade.
- 4Place the chicken and the preserved lemon in a roasting pan.
- 5Roast in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- 6Transfer the chicken and lemon to serving plate.
- 7Wipe the pan with paper towels to remove any fat, add the reserved marinade and 1/2 a cup of the stock and bring to the boil over a high heat.
- 8Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- 9Remove from the heat.
- 10Heat a small sauté pan over a medium heat, add the almonds and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until toasted.
- 11Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over a medium heat, add the onion and chilli and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until both have softened.
- 12Add the remaining stock and bring to the boil.
- 13Remove from the heat.
- 14Add the couscous and stir to combine. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- 15Use a fork to separate the grains.
- 16Add the marinade mixture, almonds and currants to the couscous, and cook, stirring, over a low heat for 2 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- 17Remove from the heat.
- 18Carve the chicken across the grain into thick slices, spoon the couscous among the serving plates, sprinkle with coriander, top with chicken and serve with baked lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Chicken With Preserved Lemons and Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.3
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 76.8 mg
- Sodium 206.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 30.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: