Recipe by canarygirl
At a recent Zaar reunion in Washington DC we had a similar dish at a Moroccan restaurant. This version comes from "Cocina Marroqui" by Anne Wilson.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 slices preserved lemons
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup green olives
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub chicken pieces with spices and allow to marinate 1 hour.
- Using a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and brown the chicken over medium heat until it is golden, but not cooked all the way through.
- Remove chicken to a larger pot.
- Add remaining oil to sauté pan, and sauté the onion and pepper for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add onions and peppers to chicken.
- Add cilantro, broth, lemon, lemon rinds and olives to the pot.
- Cover and cook 40 minutes over medium low heat, or until chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced somewhat.
- If desired the sauce can be thickened with a bit of cornstarch slurry.
- Serve with steamed rice.