Recipe by Halalmom
A wonderful winter-dish, with a rich sauce and a exotic flavour. Adapted from a moroccan cookbook. NOTE: You have to at least LIKE eggplants...
Top Review by Chef Kate
Excellent dish! I used all chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken, but otherwise followed directions. I resisted the impulse to add more spice and garlic--the dish as written is lovely. Thanks, Halalmom!
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 roasting chicken, cut in pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley (do not chop the parsley, will be removed after cooking)
- 2 medium eggplants, cut in slices
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large pot. Add the onions and the chicken pieces and fry until chicken is golden.
- Add cinnamon and ginger and fry a few more seconds.
- Add the broth to cover the chicken, 3 cups should be enough.
- Add the parsley and cover the pot.
- Let it simmer at low heat for about 1 hour, until chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile brush the sliced eggplant with the remaining olive oil and grill them in the oven from both sides (about 5 minutes each side) until soft.
- After one hour, take the chicken and parsley out of the pot and add the sliced eggplant. Mash them with a fork to "melt" with the broth (NOTE: If you do not like the skin, peel them after grilling).
- Check for salt and pepper and add the chicken back to the pot. (Throw away the parsley).
- Let it heat through and serve with lots of warmed (pita-)bread to soak up the sauce.