Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
adapted from a recipe in the Chicago Tribune. Haven't tried it yet but it looks great.
Make and share this Moroccan Chicken With Dates recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pieces chicken
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 16 dates, pitted and halved
- 1⁄4 cup whole almond
- 2 tablespoons honey
RAS EL HANOUT BLEND use 1 tsp (yields 1/4 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Heat 2 tbl olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook, turning once or twice, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove to a dish and set aside.
- Mix together the ingredients for the ras el hanout in a bowl or jar. Heat remaining tbl oil in dutch oven. Add onion, and cook until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add the bay leaf, 1 tsp ras el hanout and chicken broth.
- Reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, for about 25 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pot, turning pieces to coat with the pan fluids. Cook another 25 minutes.
- Add dates, almonds, and honey. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Store extra spice mix covered in cool, dark place.