Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Moroccan Chicken With Chickpeas and Apricots recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 slices lemon zest (each about 2 inches by 3/4 inch)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from 1 to 2 lemons
- 5 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 3 cups)
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick coins, very large pieces cut into half-moons (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup dried apricot, halved
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine spices in small bowl and set aside.
- Mince 1 strip lemon zest; combine with 1 teaspoon minced garlic and mince together until reduced to fine paste; set aside.
- Season both sides of chicken pieces liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large heavy--bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat until beginning to smoke.
- Brown chicken pieces skin side down in single layer until deep golden, about 5 minutes; turn chicken pieces and brown on second side, about 4 minutes more.
- Transfer chicken to large plate; when cool enough to handle, peel off skin and discard.
- Pour off and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot.
- Add onion and 2 remaining lemon zest strips to pot and cook, stirring 5 to 7 minutes
- Add remaining 4 teaspoons garlic and cook, stirring,about 30 seconds.
- Add spices and cook, stirring constantly,45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and honey, scraping bottom of pot with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits.
- Add thighs and drumsticks, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, apricots, and breast pieces to pot, arranging breast pieces in single layer on top of carrots.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate or bowl and tent with foil.
- Add chickpeas to pot; increase heat to medium-high and simmer 4 to 6 minutes.
- Return chicken to pot and add garlic-zest mixture, cilantro, and lemon juice; stir to combine and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.