My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 slices lemon zest (each about 2 inches by 3/4 inch)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from 1 to 2 lemons
- 5 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 3 cups)
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick coins, very large pieces cut into half-moons (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup dried apricot, halved
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1Combine spices in small bowl and set aside.
- 2Mince 1 strip lemon zest; combine with 1 teaspoon minced garlic and mince together until reduced to fine paste; set aside.
- 3Season both sides of chicken pieces liberally with salt and pepper.
- 4Heat oil in large heavy--bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat until beginning to smoke.
- 5Brown chicken pieces skin side down in single layer until deep golden, about 5 minutes; turn chicken pieces and brown on second side, about 4 minutes more.
- 6Transfer chicken to large plate; when cool enough to handle, peel off skin and discard.
- 7Pour off and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot.
- 8Add onion and 2 remaining lemon zest strips to pot and cook, stirring 5 to 7 minutes
- 9Add remaining 4 teaspoons garlic and cook, stirring,about 30 seconds.
- 10Add spices and cook, stirring constantly,45 seconds to 1 minute.
- 11Stir in broth and honey, scraping bottom of pot with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits.
- 12Add thighs and drumsticks, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 13Add carrots, apricots, and breast pieces to pot, arranging breast pieces in single layer on top of carrots.
- 14Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- 15Transfer chicken to plate or bowl and tent with foil.
- 16Add chickpeas to pot; increase heat to medium-high and simmer 4 to 6 minutes.
- 17Return chicken to pot and add garlic-zest mixture, cilantro, and lemon juice; stir to combine and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 18Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Chicken With Chickpeas and Apricots
Serving Size: 1 (586 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 857.1
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 544.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 24.6 g
- Protein 53.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: