Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love the combination of spices in Moroccan Cooking, and this is very similar to a dish from my favorite Moroccan restaurant. Out of Cooking Light magazine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds,skinned)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 12 whole pitted dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked couscous
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare chicken, combine first 9 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour mixture. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on one side. Turn chicken; remove skillet from heat. Combine reserved flour mixture and shallots; add to skillet. Stir in 1/4 cup broth and dates. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from skillet. Place skillet over medium heat; stir in 1 cup broth. Cook 1 minute; stir in cilantro. Return chicken to pan. Cover; remove pan from heat.
- To prepare couscous, combine 3/4 cup broth, water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cumin in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in almonds. Serve with chicken and sauce.
I'm not rating this because I used the recipe just for the couscous. I'm looking forward to trying the entire recipe. I can only imagine how much flavor the sauce would add to the couscous. This is a basic pasta that needs to be topped.
I just had this for supper, but changed it a bit, rice vs couscous. I used onions vs shallots and raisins vs dates with just a bit less liquid. I kept the cumin (a bit more than asked for)and kept the almonds in the rice.