Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you love foods with flavor then you will love this recipe! the spice amounts are only a guideline you may adjust to taste, this will work well using any part of the chicken :)
Top Review by rosslare
So delicious! I would change nothing, but I did use dried chick peas, 1/2 cup, and soaked them overnight, adding them at the same time with the chicken and they were cooked by the time chicken was cooked. Also, at the end of cooking time I added some couscous in the pot to absorb the lovely juices, resulting a tagine like dish. Very very good and simple as well and the whole meal in one pot.
- 3 -5 tablespoons oil
- 4 lbs chicken thighs (skin on)
- salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (can use more)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons honey (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin (or to taste)
- cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy saucepan (I use my electric frypan for this) heat oil over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper the brown well on both sides; transfer to a plate.
- Add in onions and garlic; saute for about 5 minutes, then add in cumin, turmeric, paprika and cinnamon; cook stirring with a wooden spoon for about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, honey, lemon zest and flour; stir to combine.
- Then add in the browned chicken; simmer covered for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes of cooking add in the raisins and continue to cook (UNCOVERED) until the chicken is completely cooked through (about 15-20 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken to plate/s.
- Add in the chickpeas and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve with cooked rice.