Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This Moroccan recipe is easy to make yet full of slow cooked flavor. Serve as is or over hot cooked couscous or rice.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric or 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1 cinnamon sticks or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisins or 1⁄4 cup currants
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- toasted sliced almonds (garnish)
- fresh cilantro, chopped (garnish)
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant (2-3 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally until thickened (5-7 minutes). Use the spoon to break open the tomatoes and crush them.
- Add the chicken, sweet potato, golden raisins, water, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sweet potato is tender (25-35 minutes).
- Coarsely shred the chicken then stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve warm sprinkled with the almonds and cilantro.