I'm always looking for new ways to spruce up my monthly menu. This is a great twist to plain ole chicken.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- hot cooked couscous or rice
- Place chicken in crock pot slow cooker. Combine broth, tomatoes with juice, onions, apricots, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, coriander, red pepper and cilantro in medium bowl; pour over chicken.
- Cover; cook on low 4 to 5 hours or until chicken i no longer pink in center. Transfer chicken to serving platter; cover to keep warm.
- Combine cornstarch and water in small bowl; mix until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture and beans into crock pot slow cooker. Cover; cook on High 15 minutes or until thickened. Pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with cilantro and toasted almonds. Sever with couscous or rice.