Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe makes an exotic, ethnic recipe (at least for Americans) easy to prepare at home without "special" ingredients or equipment. This recipe can be prepare through step 9, cooled, and refrigerated for up to 2 days, then warm the chicken and proceed with the recipe. Serve with couscous.
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 slices lemon zest (2x3/4 inches)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs chicken, 8 pieces bone in
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into half moons (3 cups)
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 cup green olives (if you can get Moroccan or use Greek)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Combine spices and set aside.
- Mince one of the strips of lemon zest, then on your cutting board, add 1 teaspoon minced garlic and scrape and chop them together to form a paste; set aside.
- Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven, over medium high heat, brown chicken on all sides until a deep golden color, about 10 minutes; remove and set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the Dutch oven; add onion and the remaining 2 strips of lemon zest; cook, stirring occasionally until onions begin to brown at the edges, about 5 to 7 minutes (add a tablespoon of water if the bottom of the pan gets too dark and looks like it will burn).
- Add remaining 4 teaspoons minced garlic, cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add spices and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute; stir in broth and honey, scraping bottom of pot to loosen the browned bits.
- Remove skin from chicken; if using both white and dark meat, add the dark meat first and simmer 5 minutes, over medium heat.
- Add carrots and breast meat (if using) on top, along with accumulated juices; cover and simmer, over medium low heat, until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate or bowl and tent with foil.
- To the pot add olives, increase heat to medium high and cook until slightly thickened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pot, add garlic/lemon paste, cilantro, and lemon juice; stir and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve immediately.
I made this in my dutch oven using the slow cook cycle on my oven - it was amazing! For ZWT9