This is from Cooking Light and is a bit different then the other Chicken tagines posted Note: Store remaining cumin mixture in an airtight container for up to 6 months
- 5 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 5 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 5 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 lbs vertically sliced onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs (4)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained (garbanzo beans)
- 4 cups hot cooked couscous
- Place cumin seeds, coriander seeds and the whole allspice in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Combine cumin mixture, nutmeg, ginger, red pepper, and cinnamon; set aside.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cover and cook 10 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon cumin mixture, sugar, and black pepper; cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Add broth, and cook, uncovered, 30 minutes. Add raisins, chicken, and chickpeas; cover and bake chicken mixture at 375° for 30 minutes. Serve with couscous.