Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I adapted this from a recipe I found at "Favorite Brand Name Recipes." You can serve it over rice, with noodles, couscous, or even in a tortilla.
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 5 ounces butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced (2-3 oz)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise and then sliced
- 1⁄8 cup raisins (20g)
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp minced garlic)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- nonstick cooking spray
- Spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sauté onion and garlic over high heat until browned.
- Add chicken; cook one minute without stirring. Turn and cook two or three minutes more.
- Add the spices and stir for one minute.
- Stir in squash, chicken broth, and raisins and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes, until squash is just tender-- not mushy.
- Add in zucchini and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
I decided to make this recipe in order to use up some butternut squash I had on hand and it was a great choice. I especially appreciated the healthy preparation, without any added oils. The only change I made was to add 1/2 tsp of cayenne to the spice mix which nicely balanced the sweet with the savory. Served over couscous. Thank you CPolencheck for sharing this delicious and healthy recipe.