1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Here's a healthy stew that you can make in one pot. For a vegetarian version just leave out the chicken and add another can of chickpeas instead. Quorn pieces are another good alternative, if you can get them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 25 g plain flour
- 1 liter hot vegetable stock
- 4 tomatoes
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled,deseeded and chopped
- 1 (400 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 250 g spinach leaves
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1Heat the oil in a large pan.
- 2Add the chicken and cook over a medium heat until browned all over.
- 3Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for another few minutes until softened.
- 4Add the harissa and flour and cook for a couple minutes, then add the stock.
- 5Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, peel and seed the tomatoes into a sieve, resting on a bowl to catch any juice.
- 7Roughly chop the tomato flesh.
- 8Add to the bowl with the juice and set aside.
- 9When the stew has simmered for 45 minutes, add the squash, chickpeas and tomatoes and their juice to the pot.
- 10Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally for another 20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- 11Remove and large stalks from the spinach and tear the larger leaves in half.
- 12Add to the pan with the lime juice and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- 13Season well with salt and pepper.
- 14Serve with a nice, crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (534 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.9
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 50.3 mg
- Sodium 337.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 25.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: