Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This chicken stew has an exotic, complex flavor. Serve this sweet and spicy dish over couscous or rice, or with toasted whole wheat pita bread, to soak up all the juices!
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 59.14 ml tomato paste
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 0.59 ml ground cinnamon
- 118.29 ml raisins
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 14.79 ml minced fresh garlic
- 907.18 g butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks (5 cups)
- 473.18 ml frozen green peas
- 453.59 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 skinless chicken thighs, skin and visible fat removed (about 1 1/3 pounds)
- In a 4 to 5 quart pot, whisk together the chicken broth, tomato paste, cumin, salt, red pepper, and cinnamon until blended.
- Stir in the raisins, onion, garlic, squash, peas, chick-peas, and chicken.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender and the chicken is opaque near the bone and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a sharp knife.
What a great recipe! It was extremely easy to make and very flavorful. The spice blend used is fabulous.
Very nice but I found it a bit too sweet and not spicy enough for my taste. Doubled the cayenne pepper and added 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes. Will reduce raisins next time. Used diced chicken breast. Took about 45 minutes to cook properly. Served with pita bread.
Fantastic! A 5-star recipe... thank you for sharing this recipe!