Recipe by Sharon123
This chicken stew has an exotic, complex flavor. Serve this sweet and spicy dish over couscous or rice, or with toasted whole wheat pita bread, to soak up all the juices!
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 59.14 ml tomato paste
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 0.59 ml ground cinnamon
- 118.29 ml raisins
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 14.79 ml minced fresh garlic
- 907.18 g butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks (5 cups)
- 473.18 ml frozen green peas
- 453.59 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 skinless chicken thighs, skin and visible fat removed (about 1 1/3 pounds)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 to 5 quart pot, whisk together the chicken broth, tomato paste, cumin, salt, red pepper, and cinnamon until blended.
- Stir in the raisins, onion, garlic, squash, peas, chick-peas, and chicken.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender and the chicken is opaque near the bone and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a sharp knife.