Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from America's Test Kitchen, "The Best Simple Recipes". The contrast of textures in this is great. It's important that you use garam masala that is fresh and flavorful (or use fresh spices in any of the recipes here on Zaar to make it from scratch). Use zucchini that are less than 8 inches for best results.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, choppped fine
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 zucchini, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup couscous
- 3 cups cooked chicken (1 rotisserie chicken)
- chopped cilantro
- lemon wedge
- Remove the skin from the chicken. Shred meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium until it shimmers. Cook onion until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garam masala and cook until fragrance, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth and tomatoes; bring to simmer. Stir in chickpeas, zucchini and couscous. Cook, covered, until couscous is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with chopped cilantro and lemon wedges.
A lovely filling meal, made for ZWT 9 for the Tasty Testers.
WOW! So easy and what a lot of flavor! I also added a diced carrot. The cilantro and a squeeze of lemon was the perfect topper. Very hearty soup. Made for ZWT 9.
Delicious! This quick and easy soup is hearty and very flavorful. I love garam masala because it adds a subtle, yet complex flavor to dishes. It was excellent in this soup! I had leftover chicken when I made recipe#424382, so that is what I used instead of the rotisserie chicken. The cilantro as a garnish was a very nice addition. Thank you for sharing! Made for ZWT9 Family Picks for The Apron String Travelers.