Recipe by Debbie R.
This is from America's Test Kitchen, "The Best Simple Recipes". The contrast of textures in this is great. It's important that you use garam masala that is fresh and flavorful (or use fresh spices in any of the recipes here on Zaar to make it from scratch). Use zucchini that are less than 8 inches for best results.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, choppped fine
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 zucchini, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup couscous
- 3 cups cooked chicken (1 rotisserie chicken)
- chopped cilantro
- lemon wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the skin from the chicken. Shred meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium until it shimmers. Cook onion until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garam masala and cook until fragrance, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth and tomatoes; bring to simmer. Stir in chickpeas, zucchini and couscous. Cook, covered, until couscous is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with chopped cilantro and lemon wedges.