Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this one in my email today from a local grocery store.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves or 18 ounces chicken tenders, cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika (or 3/4 teaspoon sweet paprika plus 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked instant couscous
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- Put the oil in a deep, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to the skillet, raise the heat to high, and stir once or twice.
- When chicken has browned, add the onion, cumin, ginger, and paprika.
- Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the stock to the skillet and stir, scraping any bits from the bottom.
- Cover and bring to a boil, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim the zucchini and slice in half lengthwise, next cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide half-moons.
- When the soup comes to a boil, add the zucchini and the couscous to the skillet, stir, and cover.
- Add chickpeas to the skillet.
- Cover and let the soup return to a boil, then lower the heat slightly so the soup simmers briskly for 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir cilantro into the soup, cook for 1 minute, and serve.