Recipe by Bungy
This is a surprisingly delicious chicken dish that uses no added fat or salt, and sets off the couscous perfectly. Don't skip the sultanas even if you're not fond of them - they don't overpower the sauce but add a subtle sweetness to the whole dish.
Top Review by Mrs.Jack
What a DELICIOUS dish-I thought DH was going to lick the plate clean!!! Only change I made was to use thighs instead of breasts. Made brown rice and topped all w/ lime and cilantro and served w/ green salad and Recipe #121941. Thank you, Bungy, for another great recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2008.
- 2 small chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 (400 g) can tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup sultana
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 saffron strands (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water (approx) or 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (approx)
- 1 (400 g) can chickpeas, drained
- 4 cups zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green peas, frozen
- 2 cups couscous (to serve)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken, onions, capsicum, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, sultanas and all seasonings.
- Add enough water or stock to just cover ingredients.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer 40 mins.
- Add chickpeas and zucchini and cook a further 20 minutes.
- Stir in green peas then turn off heat.
- Cook couscous by boiling 2 cups water, then add couscous, cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to separate grains and fluff up.