Recipe by Da Huz
North African flavored rice cooked with chicken. From The Essential Rice Cookbook. You will need a casserole dish that can be used on the stove top as well as in the oven. A dutch oven works perfectly. A large, deep cast iron or cast aluminum skillet would also work provided it is entirely metal (no plastic handles) and you have a lid (again, no plastic). If you do not have stove-top safe casserole dish, you may use a frying pan for steps 3-6. In step 6, omit the chicken. In step 7, transfer to a large kettle. In step 8, transfer to a regular casserole dish, place the chicken on top of the rice, then proceed as directed.
Top Review by DJ Supersoda
SPECTACULAR! It was supposed to serve 4 people but my friend and I ate the whole thing! The only changes I made was I added 1 teaspoon of paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Also, before placing it in the oven I mixed it with a small amount of chopped parsley. Since i don't own a dutch oven (getting one soon) I used a large pan to brown the chicken thighs and cook the vegetables and rice. Then I transferred everything into a casserole dish and popped it into the oven. Also, I unfortunately did not have enough chicken so mine was lacking in chicken. Either way, this dish is an absolute treasure! The spices were not overpowering at all and filled my dining room with an exotic aroma. The meat was perfectly cooked and very tender. I'm actually very sad right now since I'm finishing the very last bit of rice and chicken. Don't worry, I'll be making more very soon! I recommend this to EVERYONE! it's easy and DELICIOUS!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread, chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 3⁄4 chicken stock, hot
- olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, bone-in
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Put the saffron in a small bowl with 1 tbsp hot water. Allow to soak for at least 10 minutes.
- While saffron is soaking, using as little olive oil as possible, brown the chicken 2 minutes per side in appropriate casserole dish (see note in description). Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onion and peppers to casserole dish and cook 4 minutes, stirring regularly. Add more olive oil if required.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin, and coriander. Cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Add rice and stir to coat each grain in a thin layer of oil. Place chicken on top of rice.
- Combine saffron liquid and chicken stock and stir. Pour the combined liquid over chicken and rice, return to heat, and bring to a boil.
- Place lid on casserole dish and bake 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand several minutes with the lid on.
- Stir in olives and serve.