1 hr 10 mins
Da Huz's Note:
North African flavored rice cooked with chicken. From The Essential Rice Cookbook. You will need a casserole dish that can be used on the stove top as well as in the oven. A dutch oven works perfectly. A large, deep cast iron or cast aluminum skillet would also work provided it is entirely metal (no plastic handles) and you have a lid (again, no plastic). If you do not have stove-top safe casserole dish, you may use a frying pan for steps 3-6. In step 6, omit the chicken. In step 7, transfer to a large kettle. In step 8, transfer to a regular casserole dish, place the chicken on top of the rice, then proceed as directed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread, chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 3/4 chicken stock, hot
- olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, bone-in
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive
- 1Heat oven to 350°F.
- 2Put the saffron in a small bowl with 1 tbsp hot water. Allow to soak for at least 10 minutes.
- 3While saffron is soaking, using as little olive oil as possible, brown the chicken 2 minutes per side in appropriate casserole dish (see note in description). Remove chicken and set aside.
- 4Add onion and peppers to casserole dish and cook 4 minutes, stirring regularly. Add more olive oil if required.
- 5Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin, and coriander. Cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- 6Add rice and stir to coat each grain in a thin layer of oil. Place chicken on top of rice.
- 7Combine saffron liquid and chicken stock and stir. Pour the combined liquid over chicken and rice, return to heat, and bring to a boil.
- 8Place lid on casserole dish and bake 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand several minutes with the lid on.
- 9Stir in olives and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Chicken Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 711.6
- Calories from Fat 346
- Total Fat 38.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 191.0 mg
- Sodium 328.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 44.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: