Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced flat leaf parsley
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups blanched almonds
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus additional for sprinkling
- 1 lb frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 cups cooked chicken, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- Heat chicken broth in a 4-quart saucepan; add in saffron, garlic, cinnamon sticks, coriander, turmeric, onion, and carrot.
- Bring broth to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon sticks from broth, decrease heat to medium.
- Stir in parsley and eggs, stirring eggs until they appear like scrambled eggs, but not dry.
- Remove the eggs and vegetables with a slotted spoon and place them in a colander set over a bowl (refrigerate until ready to proceed).
- In a heavy pan, melt the butter; add in the almonds and brown them in the butter, being careful not to burn them.
- Remove from heat, and cool.
- Place the almonds in a food processor fitted with a metal blade; add the 1/3 cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; pulse on and off until the almonds are ground; set aside until ready to proceed.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Unwrap the phyllo dough and cover it with a clean kitchen towel.
- Brush a 13 x 9 inch ovenproof baking dish with melted butter.
- Brush a sheet of phyllo with melted butter, sprinkle it with some of the bread crumbs, and place it in the baking dish; repeat with 5 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each one with butter and sprinkling it with crumbs (you will have 6 sheets total).
- Spread half the egg and vegetable mixture over the phyllo, and sprinkle the filling with half of the ground almonds.
- Cover with 2 more sheets of phyllo brushed with butter and sprinkled with bread crumbs.
- Cover with all the chicken, then top with 2 more sheets of phllyo brushed with butter and sprinkled with bread crumbs.
- Top with remaining egg/vegetable mixture and the remaining ground almonds.
- Cover the pie with 4 more sheets of phyllo, each buttered and sprinkled with bread crumbs (at this point the pie may be refrigerated for up to 24 hours before baking).
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the phyllo is golden brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and ground cinnamon; serve.
This was awesome!!!! Me and my best friend made this on sunday for a 5 course Moroccan feast . We made a few adjustments to make it a little easier. We cooked the chicken with the veggies. Then we added eggs almonds and chicken together and mixed it up. we did 6-7 layers of phyllo butter and bread crumbs then placed filling in middle then wrapped it up neatly. made 2 pies. came out better than the Moroccan restaurant!