2 hrs 40 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely minced flat leaf parsley
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almonds
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus additional for sprinkling
- 1 lb frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 cups cooked chicken, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1Heat chicken broth in a 4-quart saucepan; add in saffron, garlic, cinnamon sticks, coriander, turmeric, onion, and carrot.
- 2Bring broth to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 3Remove cinnamon sticks from broth, decrease heat to medium.
- 4Stir in parsley and eggs, stirring eggs until they appear like scrambled eggs, but not dry.
- 5Remove the eggs and vegetables with a slotted spoon and place them in a colander set over a bowl (refrigerate until ready to proceed).
- 6In a heavy pan, melt the butter; add in the almonds and brown them in the butter, being careful not to burn them.
- 7Remove from heat, and cool.
- 8Place the almonds in a food processor fitted with a metal blade; add the 1/3 cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; pulse on and off until the almonds are ground; set aside until ready to proceed.
- 9Preheat oven to 400°.
- 10Unwrap the phyllo dough and cover it with a clean kitchen towel.
- 11Brush a 13 x 9 inch ovenproof baking dish with melted butter.
- 12Brush a sheet of phyllo with melted butter, sprinkle it with some of the bread crumbs, and place it in the baking dish; repeat with 5 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each one with butter and sprinkling it with crumbs (you will have 6 sheets total).
- 13Spread half the egg and vegetable mixture over the phyllo, and sprinkle the filling with half of the ground almonds.
- 14Cover with 2 more sheets of phyllo brushed with butter and sprinkled with bread crumbs.
- 15Cover with all the chicken, then top with 2 more sheets of phllyo brushed with butter and sprinkled with bread crumbs.
- 16Top with remaining egg/vegetable mixture and the remaining ground almonds.
- 17Cover the pie with 4 more sheets of phyllo, each buttered and sprinkled with bread crumbs (at this point the pie may be refrigerated for up to 24 hours before baking).
- 18Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the phyllo is golden brown.
- 19Remove the pie from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- 20Sprinkle with powdered sugar and ground cinnamon; serve.
Browse Our Top Moroccan Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Moroccan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Chicken Pie (B’stilla)
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 779.9
- Calories from Fat 443
- Total Fat 49.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 321.2 mg
- Sodium 900.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 37.0 g