Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This simple and fragrant one pot makes a simple yet special meal for family or firends. Serve with cous cous. From Good Food Magazine.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, one roughly chopped, one sliced
- 113.39 g tomatoes
- 113.39 g ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 14.79 ml coriander
- 14.79 ml cinnamon
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 532.32 ml chicken broth
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 113.39 g dried cherries
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest
- 10 mint leaves
- 113.39 g feta, crumbled
- natural yoghurt
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2tbs of the oil in a flameproof dish then brown the chicken on all sides. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- In a food processer or with a blender whizz the chopped onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic into a rough paste. Fry the sliced onion in the remaining oil until softened then add the spices and fry for a further minute until fragrant. Add the paste and fry for another few minutes to soften.
- Return the chicken to the dish with the squash, broth, sugar and vinegar. Bring to a simmer then cook for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Lift the chicken out and stir in the cherries then continue simmering the sauce to thicken while you shred the chicken into bite sized chunks. Stir the chicken back into the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the red onion, lemon zest, mint and feta. Scatter over the dish then service with couscous and yoghurt.