Recipe by lazyme
I haven't eaten a lot of Moroccan food, but this looks great. From Weight Watchers New 365 Day Menu Cookbook.
Top Review by luvcook'n
We really enjoyed this dish!! I made as directed with one exception. I didn't use the orange sections..personal preference. I did find however, that the cumin/cinnamon could have been increased to round out the flavour a bit more. It seemed to get lost in the background. I love the combination of cumin/cinnamon together and is a very important part of Moroccan cooking. That is the only thing I will change next time I make it. It was quick and easy to put together. Thank you lazyme for this wonderful keeper.
- 6 ounces long-grain rice
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups leeks, thinly sliced well-washed
- 12 dried apricot halves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup orange section
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; stir in rice and saffron.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 20 minutes, until all water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, heat oil; add chicken.
- Cook over medium-high heat, turning once, 8 minutes, until browned on all sides and juices run clear when chicken is pierced with fork.
- Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- In same skillet, combine leeks, apricots, cumin, cinnamon and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes, until leeks are softened.
- Add tomatoes and broth; bring liquid to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 3 minutes, until mixture is heated through.
- Return chicken to skillet; stir in orange sections.
- Cook, turning chicken occasionally, 3 minutes, until chicken is heated through.
- Spoon warm rice mixture onto serving platter.
- Top rice mixture with cooked chicken breasts; surround chicken with vegetable mixture.
- SERVING (1 CHICKEN BREAST, 3/4 CUP RICE, 3/4 CUP VEGETABLE MIXTURE) PROVIDES: 1/2 Fat, 1 Fruit, 2 Vegetables, 3 Proteins, 1 1/2 Breads, 5 Optional Calories.
- PER SERVING: 406 Calories, 5 g Total Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 66 mg Cholesterol, 125 mg Sodium, 58 g Total Carbohydrate, 4 g Dietary Fiber, 32 g Protein, 93 mg Calcium; 8 points.