Recipe by diner524
Posting for ZWT6 and found on AOL Food that was provided by Eating Well. This sounds very tasty without being overly spicey. The recipe doesn't call for onions, which I would definitely add and feel free to add mushrooms, tomatoes etc.
Top Review by SugarHATER
Made a vegetarian version of this using Quorn vegan chicken cutlets. This recipe has it all: Herb, spices, LOADED WITH FLAVOR and LOADED WITH VEGGIES, PROTEIN and CALCIUM. I don't know why the nutrition calculator showes so much fat... that's TOTALLY wrong! This is a VERY LEAN dish! If you're using the non-fat yogurt as specified, the only fat would be from the Olive oil and divided by 4 servings the fat is miniscule. (And Olive Oil is a GOOD fat) BOTTOM LINE: This is VERY HEALTHY AND DELISH! This is another recipe I will be working into my healthy eating repetoir and I think if you try this (vegetarian or with real chicken) you will agree and want to make this on a regulars basis too. ALSO: this is a very impressive recipe for entertaining! Who says food that's good for you has to be bland? Thanks diner524!
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb chicken breast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces (boneless or skinless)
- 2 small bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (red and or or yellow)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together yogurt, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill or broiler. Blanch bell peppers in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh with cold water. Blanch zucchini for 1 minute. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Alternate chicken cubes, peppers and zucchini on skewers. Grill or broil the kebabs until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
- When using wooden skewers, wrap the exposed parts with foil to keep them from burning. (Contrary to conventional wisdom, soaking skewers in water doesn't protect them.).