Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
As someone who eats chicken breasts at least once or twice a week, I'm always looking for new recipes to inspire me. I recently found this one on the pages of Eating Well and was excited by the proposition of a dish that promised lots of flavor without a long marinating time. Serve this with some couscous and a Moroccan salad and enjoy. (WW 4pts/Core)
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus
- extra parsley, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika (use a smokey or regular variety)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 small red bell peppers (one of each is very attractive) or 2 small yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (one of each is very attractive)
- 1 red onion, cut into large 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- Stir together yogurt, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Alternately, pour all of the ingredients together in a resealable platic bag and mix together.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill or broiler. Blanch bell peppers in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh with cold water. Blanch zucchini for 1 minute. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Alternate chicken cubes, peppers, red onion and zucchini on skewers. Grill or broil the kebabs until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
Mine turned out dry and the only discernible flavor was the cumin. Done on an indoor grill pan, will try again when it's grilling weather in Upstate NY again!
These were good, 4 1/2 stars. I made them with regular yogurt and freshly squeezed lemon juice. The recipe did not say when to add the ginger so I added powdered ginger with the other spices of course but tasted it before and after and liked it more before. I used halved shallots instead of red onion and also added pieces of brown mushrooms to the skewers. I did let the chicken and vegetables marinate a number of hours rather than 20 minutes just for convenience sake. I broiled them and served them with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes Lower Healthier Fat & a cucumber salad garnished with pomegranate seeds & Honey-Tahini Salad Dressing. I wont make these again.
Wow! My dh and I really loved these grilled w/onions and peppers, and served over Mexican rice pilaf. I didn't feel deprived of flavor in the least, and the prep time was well worth the effort. Thanks for a great recipe!