Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe was taken from the internet while looking for looking for recipes from North Africa & the Middle East.
Top Review by weekend cooker
Made recipe as posted except left out the prunes, and used white rice. Great fast dinner, with great flavor. The spices we thought were right on the money. Definately have to add this one to my 20 minute or less dinner cookbook. It is a winner here. Made for PRMR tag.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 226.79 g butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 0.59 ml saffron thread
- 236.59 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 56.69 g kumquats, quartered lengthwise, seeded
- 56.69 g prunes, pitted
- 14.79 ml honey
- 946.36 ml cooked rice or 946.36 ml couscous
- 29.58 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In large heavy skilled, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper, then add to skillet & brown, about 7 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to plate.
- Pour off all but thin film of fat from skillet, then add onions.
- Reduce heat to medium & saute until very tender & beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add squash & stir 2 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, cumin & saffron & stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock & bring to boil, scrapping up browned bits.
- Add chicken with any drippings on plate, kumquats, pitted prunes & honey.
- Cover skillet & simmer until chicken is cooked through, turning occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Uncover & boil until liquid thickens to sauceconsistency, if necessary.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead, then covered & chilled. Rewarm covered oveer medium heat.).
- Mound rice or couscous on plates, then spoon shicken & sauce over.
- Sprinkle with cilantro & enjoy!